Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, August 11, 2016

How I Work From Home

work from home girl on computer

If you work from home, you’ve probably read many people write about suggestions on how to be productive while doing so. Things like make sure you designate work hours in an actual home office which is organized, get showered, get dressed, put make up on, and do my hair, get rid of distractions, and so on. While this all sounds like really good ideas, I must respectfully disagree with some of them.

Here’s the deal. Part of the reason I truly enjoy working from home is that I don’t have to have specific office hours. This is great because I’ve found out my toddler doesn’t have specific hours either. He doesn’t yet understand that Mommy has to write a post, answer emails, do a photo shoot, or wrangle my social media accounts. Also a toddler is a HUGE distraction. For writing posts, I wait until he’s asleep. But as for answering emails, photo shoots, and social media, I have to do these things often while he’s awake and crazy busy. As for other distractions when I’m writing, I don’t watch Netflix however I do blast 80’s music really loudly though my headphones.

As for having an organized designated home office, I think that’s a great idea. Mainly because I’m a Type A who hates clutter. Since I recently created my home office in a spare bedroom, I have been getting more writing done than before and enjoying it way more. I still enjoy writing in my backyard or in my bed though.

Now onto getting showered, dressed, and my make up on and hair done. Once again the reason I enjoy working from home is I no longer have to do these things if I don’t want to! I love writing in my pajamas (I’m doing so right now and it seems to be working out). I have not noticed a downturn in my productivity on days when I stay in my pj’s all day. Actually I feel that some of the best things I’ve written are when I look like a garbage dump. No bra = comfort.

So that’s basically my slant on the whole how to get stuff done while working at home thingWith a husband who works weird hours and a toddler, I’ve had to learn to go with the flow more. This does not mean I don’t have a schedule though. Someday I will do “A Day In The Life Of Joelle & Zeke” to show you what a typical day looks like for us, but until then there’s just one thing for me that’s non-negotiable. When I write I drink tea – usually these days a homemade London Fog.

Any work from home people out there? How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.