In pretty much every book on dressing well there is talk of creating a capsule wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe consists of basic clothes you can wear year after year and are the foundation on which you build the rest of your wardrobe.
First you need to pick a neutral colour which looks good on you, such as black, charcoal grey, chocolate brown, tan, navy, ivory, or cream. The most popular colours for a capsule wardrobe are black, chocolate brown, or charcoal grey.
Let's build a capsule wardrobe. First I will choose a colour--black.
The Basics Checklist
- Black three piece suit--blazer, pants, skirt.
- Black cardigan
- button-up blouse in white or off-white, depending on your skin tone
- black camisole
- black opaque tights
- dark denim jeans--the most versatile would be boot-cut.
- little black dress
When you are finished with the basics, then you can add diversity and pattern into your closet. These will be your add-on pieces. While your basics will work for each season, your seasonal add-on pieces will be in secondary colours. Just remember that for each new piece you add, make sure it goes with something you already own.
To show what I mean, I have chosen blues and purples.
- Blue and purple printed dress (my example has black in it as well)
- Solid purple dress
- Printed skirt with purple on it
- Purple blazer
- Purple cardigan
- Printed or solid blouse in blue and purple
- Solid tanks in secondary colours--purple and blue
And don't forget shoes! I used black as the core colour.
Basic Shoe Checklist
- Black high heels
- Black flats
- Nude heels
- Black boots (flat or heeled)
- Black booties
- Walkable black flats (canvas sneakers, sandals, or slip-ons)
Basic Underwear Checklist
- Seamless bra and underwear to match your skin tone
- Seamless strapless bra to match your skin tone
- Black seamless bra and underwear
- At least one set of matching bra and underwear in a fun colour (I love leopard print!)
- Foundation shorts for tummy control under tight dresses
- Half-slip to wear under skirts
- A full slip to wear under dresses