Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Nothing To Wear? Here's The Solution!

I have a lot of clothes. And shoes. And accessories. I never could understand why I felt more often than not that I have nothing to wear. Then one day I read a quotation from Caitlin Moran, “When a woman says, ‘I have nothing to wear!’, what she really means is, ‘There’s nothing here for who I’m supposed to be today.” I had an aha moment. That’s how I feel! But what to do with this new information?

I started cleaning out the closet (you can read how I did that here). Then I made a list for spring cleaning, this resource from Amazing Maids Boise matched my needs. Later, after their services when I started to see the boxes of clothes. But when I was finished instead of feeling elated, excited and full of ideas of new outfits to create, instead I felt overwhelmed, bored, and back to square one with the whole “I have nothing to wear.” blues. As I aforementioned, nothing could be further from the truth because I have lots of everything. So what was wrong? Maybe many of you still felt the same even though you got rid of a lot of clothes and purchased new ones. So what is missing? Today I think I just found the answer.

What was missing was outfit inspiration! We all need it – even fashion bloggers such as myself. So, I got to work creating a virtual bulletin board of looks I love. I chose Pinterest for this task and titled the board Outfitted (you can check it out here if you want some instant inspiration to go and create your own). For those that don’t want to do this on a computer, buy a cork board and tacks and start clipping looks out of magazines and pin away.

Next, look at each outfit and start analyzing. Ask yourself, “What do I need to create this stylish outfit?”. Then make a list (I add my things to my Wish Upon A Star board on Pinterest) and go shopping. When you’re done buying all the new things that will help you to make your dream outfits, get on your computer (or go to your cork board) and start creating the outfits. Try each one on and snap a selfie. Then print each one out and put them in an album, tape them to a wall, etc.

Now for some extra points. You will most likely find that you have some left over items that don’t go with any of your dream outfits. Either look for inspiration as to how wear them with pieces you already own to create more dream outfits or make a list of pieces you still need to buy to create an outfit with that item. If you can’t do either of those things, then donate or sell those pieces. Notice I said dream outfit because each item has to fit with other items in order to create something you truly love. Otherwise it is just taking up precious closet space and bringing you down.

So are you up for the challenge? Let me know how you do!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.